During the war years 1940-45, Falstad was a prison camp for political prisoners. Today it is a memorial and centre for human rights.
The Falstad Centre is located at Ekne in the municipality of Levanger in Innherred – just under an hour north of Trondheim.
The Falstad building was built in 1921-24 as a school home for “neglected boys”. In 1941 the facility was transformed into “SS Strafgenfangenenlager Falstad”, the second largest prison camp in Norway. About 4,500 people from 16 countries was held at the camp in 1941-45. The majority were Norwegian political prisoners, while the foreign prisoners came primarily from the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, Poland and Denmark. For many, Falstad was an intermediate station to Grini or concentration camps in Germany.
Falstadsenteret is today a national teaching and documentation center. Core activities are research, dissemination and teaching on the themes of the prison history of war and human rights. Falstadsenteret is a suitable course and conference center.
“Face to Face”
The Falstadsenteret’s permanent exhibition “Face to Face” addresses the rise of Nazism, the Falstad camp of 1941-45, the German camp system in Norway, the fate of Norwegian Jews and Eastern Europeans, and the development of human rights after the war.
THE FALSTAD FOREST
The Falstad Forest (a place of execution during the WWII), one kilometer south of the Falstad Building, is today a national memorial and war grave site.