Cultural relics such as burial mounds and rock carvings show that there has been great activity in the area for thousands of years.
Snorre tells that there was a settlement here in the Viking times, but that it wasn’t more than a small beach area around Steinkjer farm at the edge of the river. From Egge in Steinkjer came the great leaders who fought against Olav Haraldsson in the Battle of Stiklestad in 1030.
Craftsmen and tradesmen eventually settled in the area around Steinkjer farm. The fishing boats and garrison environment at Sannan brought new impulses and increased activity to Steinkjer, which gained town status in 1857. The first group of timber buildings constructed in the Empire style disappeared in the town fire of 1900, and was replaced by the towers and spires so characteristic of the Jugend style. Steinkjer was bombed by occupying forces in 1940. The new city, built in the Functionalist style, is considered to be of cultural-historical interest. Examples of this are the Community Centre in Steinkjer square and a number of courtyards
Most trading activities take place at Sørsileiret, a newer part of town outside the centre, with many shopping centres. But there are still many exciting small shops, cafes and outdoor cafes in the ”old” town centre. Steinkjer is the County Capital of Nord-Trøndelag. The municipality is situated northeast of the Beitstad Fjord in the northern part of Trondheimsfjorden.
Open, happy and cheerful